PADI Wreck Diver Course $465*
Learn how to penetrate New Zealand's shipwrecks safely with Dive Now Whangarei
Perhaps you served on one of our Leander Class Frigates (Canterbury, Waikato or Wellington) and want to revisit your old work place now it is 30 metres below?
Or do you want to visit the Rainbow Warrior that was sunk in the 80's protesting the testing of Nuclear weapons?
Perhaps the mystery of the running aground and the strange events that took place directly after the incident of the Russian cruise liner Mikail Lermontov is your thing?
Or perhaps you are getting ready for an international trip where there are wrecks to dive?
Well our four day PADI Wreck course is a great place to start your wreck training. We have access to two purposely sunk ships within an hours drive from Dive Now Whangarei - HMNZS Canterbury sunk in the Bay of Islands and the HMNZS Waikato sunk just out from Tutukaka.
Both ships sit on the sand in around the 35m mark with their highest remaining structure at around 16m. This means anyone wanting to dive them should have at least their Advanced Open Water certification and ideally Enriched Air Nitrox to give them a little bit longer down there.
Over the course some of the things you will learn are:
- Spotting hazards, points of interest and potential penetration points
- Map part of the outside of the wreck. You will use your maps and any available schematics to plan penetration routes within your training levels.
- Practise using reels and lights to safely penetrate a wreck and communicate with a buddy
- Look at progressive penetration methods
- Practise to carry, stage and retrieve a bail-out cylinder safely for the team to use in an emergency
- Finning techniques required for diving inside a wreck
Currently the course runs over three days, a Saturday, Sunday and following Saturday with fun dives available on Sunday. However this may change. We hope to run the course over two full weekends to give everyone a chance to dive an extra day at the end of the course using the skills learnt on the course.
Be warned, wreck diving can be extremely addictive.
Cost: $465| 4 days | Includes 8 wreck dives *charter fees not included
Cost includes all PADI training, certification and study materials. Any specialist equipment such as Stage Bottles and Regulators will be provided for the duration of the course.
- Advanced Open Water Diver
- Enriched Air Nitrox Diver
Ideally, you will be confident with your buoyancy. This is due to the high levels of buoyancy control and finning technique required on this course.
Before you start the course:
- Before you start the course you must read the PADI Wreck Diver manual and complete the Knowledge Reviews. You'll be pleased to know that there is no Final Exam on this course.
- You have to fill out a medical questionnaire to check whether you are fit to dive.
- Ideally you'll train using your own equipment but all equipment can be provided free of charge if necessary.
Transportation is not provided by Dive Now Whangarei, but we do our best to help organise car pooling to the dive sites.