PADI Tec 40 Course $1499 - (Part I $550 Part II $999)
The PADI Tec 40 course is where you transition from recreational scuba diving into the world of technical diving.
It is the first subdivision of the full PADI Tec Deep Diver course and bridges the gap between no stop diving and full technical deep decompression diving.
You will gain experience and begin building the knowledge and skills required to continue your PADI Tec diver training. You will qualify to make limited decompression dives to 40 metres using a single decompression gas up to EANx50.
The course focuses on the technical dive skills needed to conduct safe and succesful dives, the use of open circuit technical dive equipment, the importance of the dive team and dive planning.
We split our Tec 40 course into two parts. The first part is an Introduction to the equipment and inwater skills which take place in our pool and then in Open Water. We then want our students to practise diving the twins in their buddy teams until they have completely mastered the skills before moving onto the second part of the course where we focus on the skills required for decompression.
Successful candidates will then be able to proceed to the next section of learning, Tec 45.
What you will learn on the course:
- Technical diving’s risks and responsibilities
- Technical diving equipment, proper rigging and set up
- Gas planning
- Oxygen limits
- Decompression Planning
- Team diving techniques
- Emergency procedures including dealing with free flows, manifold leaks and out of gas situations
In water skills include:
- Buoyancy control
- Finning techniques
- Gas switching as part of a team
- Problem solving
- Rescue skills
Cost: $1499 | $999 if the Intro has already been completed | Excludes any trip to the Poor Knights Islands
Cost includes all PADI training, certification and study materials. Any specialist equipment will be provided by the student for the duration of the course.
- PADI Openwater Diver or equivalent
- Minimum 18 years of age
- 50 or more logged dives
- Rescue diver qualification
- Nitrox qualification with a minimum of 10 dives using enriched air nitrox deeper than 18m
- Deep Diver qualification with a minimum of 10 dives deeper than 30m
- Have completed Tec 40 part I (an Intro to Tech using Back Mounted Twins run by Dive Now using twins or a GUE Fundamentals course using twins) and have completed a minimum of 20 logged dives on twins.
- Current dive medical We have found that candidates will get a lot more from their course if they have a strong foundation to start with. So having training and experience diving twin cylinders, plus the skill to back fin and hold their position in the water will aid them through this course and beyond.
About your Instructor
Simon has been an active technical diver since 2014. Since then, he has dived extensively in New Zealand and around the world. His Technical training was conducted in New Zealand by Tom Crisp and Andrew Simpson and his Tec Deep Instructor training by legendary wreck and technical diver Pete Mesley.
He has been lucky enough to dive some of the worlds best wrecks and reefs - Wrecks including the WWII wrecks of Truk Lagoon, SS Coolidge in Vanuatu, our own Mikhael Lermontov in Marlborough, plus ex HMNZ Waikato and Canterbury here in Northland Reefs including Komodo National Park, Great Barrier Reef, Red Sea, Maldives, plus our own Poor Knights and Fiordland and many more.
- Classroom theory sessions 2 × 4 hours
- Confined water pool sessions 1 × 3 hours
- Open Water Dives – 4 dives – these are usually conducted at Kai Iwi Lakes. However, the last 2 dives can be conducted in the ocean at the Poor Knights, these will incur a charter boat cost.
Transportation is not provided by Dive Now Whangarei, but we do our best to help organise car pooling to the dive sites.
Required Equipment available for purchase or rent from Dive Now
- Twin cylinders with Isolation Manifold
- Stage cylinder
- Wing and harness with suitable lift for diving conditions
- Twin regulators with long hose configuration (DIN)
- Stage regulator (ideally DIN)
- 1x Mixed gas decompression dive computer
- 1x Back up computer
- Mask and Fins
- Suitable exposure suit for depth and environment
- 1 x DSMB and reel
- 1x cutting device
- Wet notes
- Primary light
- Back up light
- Back up mask
Once you complete the course, you will have opportunity to practice your skills on our regular dive trips.