CocoS Island Costa Rica
Diving Bucket List Right Here!
- Whale Sharks, Schooling Hammerhead Sharks, White-tip Sharks, Tuna, Manta Rays, Turtles and Giant Frogfish
- All dives from tenders
- Water temperature: 72 – 82F, 22 – 28C with cooler thermoclines
- 3 – 5 mm wetsuit recommended
- No night diving is currently offered at Cocos Island.
- 10-night charters: up to 24 dives
Cocos Island is an island approx 600 off the nearest Costa Rican coast of volcanic origin. Its nutrient rich deep water is what attracts the large schools of pelagic life, namely the regularly seen schools of Hammerhead Sharks (at the world’s largest cleaning station) that make the region a top class diving destination.
The island is the only point above the sea in Cocos Ridge, a line of sunken volcanoes that run from Costa Rica to the north of Galapagos Islands. The island is of volcanic origin and its rich soil supports a tropical lowland ecosystem along with a cloud forest.
The secluded location of the Island means that it can only be accessed by diving liveaboard trips, which departs from Puntarenas. The travel usually depends upon the climate conditions and winds but usually takes about one and half day of cruise time. The high travel time, challenging dive conditions combined with the fact that the trips are highly focused means that they are not appropriate for beginner divers or non divers. View Map of the island here
Cost: USD $5,699 USD | 10 days live aboard 8th-18th May 2021 | Includes tanks and weights, all meals and snacks, non-alcoholic beverages, local beer and wine, accommodation, air fills and up to 24 dives.
What's not included
Airfares, Insurance, Hotels, Nitrox 32% (this can be included for an additional USD $150), USD $450 park fees, Staff gratuity and dinner on the final evening.
- Advanced Open Water diver or above, ideally Nitrox and Deep diver qualified.
- If you haven't been in the water for over 12 months, then book onto a refresher in our pool before the trip. This will ensure you are comfortable in the water before we go on the trip.
- Bring along a copy of your dive certification.
- Travel Insurance
- Passports must have a minimum of 6 months validity from your return date of travel
- Passports must have at least 2 blank pages
Your trip deposit or full payment secures your space. Any outstanding balances are due a week before departure.
If you cancel your space on a trip within 7 days or less of departure you will incur a 100% cancellation fee. Generally trip payments once made are non-refundable, but most trips have a waiting list and we will do our best to find someone to take your space in the event you need to pull out. You can help us, and improve your chance of a refund, by finding your own replacement.
If a trip is cancelled by us due to weather or for safety reasons, a full refund or store credit will be given. Trip pricing does not include transport. You will need to make your own way to the vessel departure point.